[3830] CQWW CW N4BP M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 25 15:22:22 EST 2019

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: N4BP
Operator(s): K4RUM N4BP N4UM
Station: N4BP

Class: M/S HP
QTH: SFL

  160:  133    17       63
   80:  295    24       84
   40:  465    29      106
   20: 1281    33      125
   15:  223    24       81
   10:   45    10       22

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Tim, N4UM talked me into trying a Multi-One, so we started planning weeks ago.
Our MULT station was to be my KX3 driving an HLA-305 amp (250W) to a modified
4BTV for five bands.  Tim and Marty, K1FQL designed and built several coax stubs
to use on both stations to reduce interference.  We didn't get to try them until
Thursday before the contest and unfortunately they didn't provide enough
isolation,  During the contest, we did make a few MULT contacts, but eventually
abandoned that effort.  Conditions seemed good on all bands with the exception
of very brief openings on 10 & 15.  But I was absolutely amazed at what Tim
and Mike were able to do on 80 & 160!  Tim attributed his ability to copy to
his music training, and Mike's hearing must also be exceptional.  I on the other
hand, have a huge problem copying through my usual high noise level.  Mike
(Tim's son) was the iron man for this one going eight hours plus for both
nights.  I did mostly daytime with very satisfying runs of Europe and Japan.
Tim and Mike headed for FLL about 1.5 hours before the end to get Mike's flight
back home to NLI.  At that point we had about 3.9M points leaving me with the
goal of breaking 4M.  Double-mult 7A2A on 20M made that with a couple of bonus
mults from 9M6 and FO.  I think we were all very pleased with the results from
my meager station.