[3830] CQWW CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 28 00:38:42 EST 2019

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Dallas
Operating Time (hrs): 45:27

  160:   58    16       33
   80:  369    25       79
   40:  906    35      110
   20: 1330    34      112
   15:  150    23       56
   10:   29     9       17

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

With the K index at 2 for the duration (last year = zero) I was expecting a
bigger hit to my score. Actually I was able to keep pace with both of my last 2
scores for most of the contest. My mults are low because I really do prefer to
run when I find good rate - and it was on 20. I stayed there both mornings until
the rate dropped. Oh, at 1551z on Saturday the run rig failed on receive and I
thought the contest was over for me. 25 minutes later the issue was resolved by
wiggling the connector in back of the YCCC box. So some down time in the middle
of the good rate on 20.

15 didn't sound runnable to EU, so I tested the waters a few times using my
dueling algo to CQ on 15 between transmissions in my 20m run. With no takers I
turned that off again and swept 15 with the 2nd radio. Clearly I did something
wrong, as there was a puny opening in there somewhere.

There seemed a shortage of high latitude DX on all bands, with no Sweden in the
log on 40 until the last hour. The EU sunrise runs didn't produce much rate, so
shifted to JA early. 80 surprised with lots of activity but not stronger
signals. I did hear JT5DX on 80 both mornings. On the first night I didn't hear
him working anything beyond JA, and dropped my call in a few times with the 2nd
radio as I was busy on 40 with JA's myself. No luck, of course. On 2nd night he
was working some USA, but the packet mob was all over him. I hope Ralph got
through. My biggest problem in this contest was emotional (grief). It can happen
to any of us, so this might be helpful:

I had no problems in the early part of the contest because the stress remained
in the background. As fatigue set in the pain would percolate to the surface. I
would throw down my headphones to hold my head in my hands, then look up and
notice that I was in the middle of a QSO and the DX was still waiting for
"TU". This happened a few times. I usually try to take my first rest
break after 33 - 34 hours, during the 40m JA run on the 2nd night. For over an
hour I got no sleep. The burning anxiety kept me awake. At 2100z on Sunday
afternoon I still hadn't slept a wink and the anxiety spiked to where I couldn't
continue, so I took a half hour break and did get some sleep. That helped, and I
was able to finish the contest. As I shut down the station and turned out the
lights, I was holding back tears. You wouldn't think a CQWW would ever end like
that.

Roy -- AD5Q