[3830] CQ WW RTTY S50W M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 1 06:08:24 EDT 2019

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY - 2019

Call: S50W
Operator(s): S51I S51DI S51DD S51NM S52DR S52SK S57XZ S57K
Station: S50W

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Gomila

   80:  720       11      66    15
   40: 1119       43      98    30
   20: 1057       44     103    33
   15:  308        7      65    19
   10:   45        0      21     5
------------------------------------
Total: 3249      105     353   102  Total Score = 4,226,880

Hmmmm…

What to say about everything?

It all started 3 years ago when we started designing and building our new
location on Gomila near Ptuj (JN76WK). In a beautiful environment between
vineyards, we set up a facility consisting of two containers and so far only one
tower 25m high. After removing our antenna from Ptuj Castle in June, in just
three months  we have installed the following antennas in a new location: 19el
tribander (at 25m rotary), 10el tribander (fixed USA at 16m) and the old Wilson
tribander (fixed JA at 12m) which is decorated Ptuj Castle from year 1980 to
2011. On the tower was placed also 3el yagi 7 MHz (rotary at 22m). Last week we
made a 3.5 MHz (apex 22m) delta loop. For now, all the antennas are on a single
tower.

We chose the M2 category mainly to try our new location. We only used two
stations because we ran out of time to set up inband stations and additional
mtpl stations. The entire setup was completed on Friday night with the hope that
everything would work out as we had imagined.

The setup is as follows:

- two run stations (FT2000 and FT1000MPV)
- two amplifiers (ACOM 2000, OM2500HF); we used exactly 1500W to get a better
feel for the new location
- 3 pcs triplexer 20-15-10 by S57K
- 3 pcs stack match
- HP BPF by 4O3A
- 2 piece 6x2 switch
- SO2R set with LP BPF and band decoders by S58A
- stacking controller by S57K

Pre-contest testing showed that there was no interference between the stations
and that all switches worked without problems. There were some insignificant
little things that did not affect competition work.

Right after the start of the contest, a fight with our friends on the S51A
began. We posted our result on scoreboard for the reason that we give wings to
them and to us. And the battle was great! In the morning we were slightly ahead
of them, but during the day the situation turned and on Saturday night they
overtook us. Night work and jumping during the run and picking up multipliers
across the band, especially with another VFO, proved effective. In the middle of
the night we took the lead and slowly increased the difference during the day.

The boys on the LX7I were also on the scoreboard with us. We didn't pay too much
attention to them because we expected them to rise above us at some point in
terms of the amount of aluminum on the LX7I. I was convinced we couldn't keep up
with them. And the closer the end of the game was approaching, the more we
looked at the scoreboard and picked up the multipliers even more! We left the CQ
a few times and went to the band to keep up with the QSO number with the LX7I
... We had a good number of multipliers all the time, only lagging behind in the
QSO’s.

One issue worried us. N1MM was constantly misreporting our result on the
scorebord (??). In the end, this difference was 20 qso and 7 mtpl. Therefore,
our reported result was higher by about 70k points. I even ran rescore on N1MM a
few times, but the matter has not changed. So, in the end, real difference
between LX7I and us is just 32k. Who knows, maybe our UBN will be better?

It doesn't matter who the winner will be. It is important for us to open a new
chapter at Radioklub Ptuj. And that the location, we chose, is obviously great.
When we add inband, mtpl stations, rx antennas ...

Guys! Thanks for all the qso's, great competition, super finish and a wonderful
weekend. Congratulation to all!

See you all in next contest!

I have a feeling that Zlatko S51MA (SK) and Boris S58A (SK) were with us this
weekend ...

Vy 73,

Sandi S57K