[3830] CQ WW RTTY AC0C SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Oct 2 00:41:24 EDT 2019

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY - 2019

Call: AC0C
Operator(s): AC0C
Station: AC0C

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): ~8

   80:  176       42      10    10
   40:  273       46      26    17
   20:  162       35      61    18
   15:   37       12      13    10
   10:    2        0       2     1
------------------------------------
Total:  650      135     112    56  Total Score = 289,062

Club: Kansas City Contest Club

Comments:

Murphy was camped out at this QTH the entire weekend.

On the first night of the contest, thunderstorms with tremendous lightning
content and were running along a line about 20 miles northwest and moving at a
slow pace.  They extended a couple of hundred miles along the line.   I had some
computer problems that I could not quite figure out and were killing rate.
Eventually I figured those out - but by then the storms were the bigger problem
and getting worse.  After a few hours of contest time strikes were within a mile
of the shack and forced a shutdown.  Lightning remained in the area for the next
6 hours.  I went to bed expecting things to be improved in the morning.

Worked some of the morning session but QRN levels were high from the lightning
activity off to the east.  The 80m 4SQ was operational in omni mode but showing
very high SWR in any directional mode.  Stopped mid morning as the rains cleared
and swapped the 80m 4SQ controller out.  Opening that box showed clear evidence
of lightning damage.  Rains returns in the afternoon with moderate levels of
lightning.

Slept late on Sunday morning.  The espresso machine ran out of water in mid pull
which I should have recognized as the omen that it turned out to be...  Got down
to the shack hoping to have some good runs - fresh meat late in a contest like
the CQWW can result in some great rates.  The storms had moved off to the NW and
the lightning content was much less so I was optimistic.  But after about 50 QSO
an unrecoverable computer problem developed and that was the end of the contest
activity.  Flipped the power switch and hung it up.

Clearly Murphy was in control of destiny this weekend.  At least I got a lot of
unexpected sleep!

Thanks for all the Qs!

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com