[3830] CaQP KF6NCX M/SFixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Oct 9 11:26:16 EDT 2019

                    California QSO Party - 2019

Call: KF6NCX
Operator(s): KF6NCX KE6YLH
Station: KF6NCX

Class: M/SFixed HP
QTH: Chico, CA

  160:
   80:   98     3
   40:   63     0
   20:  215     5
   15:   19     0
--------------------
Total:  395     8  Mults = 52  Total Score = 62,244

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Once again we had the father-son team of Larry, KF6NCX, and Jevon, KE6YLH. This
year we couldn’t manage a CQP expedition (as we did last year), so we operated
from the KF6NCX QTH in Chico, Butte County. Wife/Mom Margot presided over the
cookhouse and provided superb culinary support.

Our antenna was a 130-foot end-fed half-wave wire resonant on 10 through 80,
configured as an inverted vee, with the high point up 50 feet. We were
inaugurating a couple of new pieces of equipment, Elecraft’s KPA500 amp and
its KAT500 tuner. Our intention was to run 500 watts, but we had problems with
the new equipment and were only able to run 400 watts at times, 200 watts other
times and at still other times “barefoot” at 100 watts.

Despite these issues, which we are exploring, we had a lot of fun and really
enjoyed the contest. We made a few DX contacts along the way: France,
Scandinavia, Ecuador and Mexico.

One surprise was that 40 meters, which was very active Saturday afternoon and
evening, lost power at night. As a result, we made many more contacts on 80 than
we did on 40, the opposite of what we had expected. We'd hoped to make some qs
on 160, but the couple of times we checked, we only heard once station. It was
from Canada and not in the contest at all.

As always, it was great to operate in CQP. Thanks for the Qs and special thanks
to Ken, K6MR, and Skip, K6DGW, for their “brain trust” assistance.