[3830] Makrothen RTTY NN7SS(K6UFO) SO/Single Xcvr QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 13 11:16:06 EDT 2019

                    Makrothen RTTY Contest - 2019

Call: NN7SS
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: NN7SS

Class: SO/Single Xcvr QRP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 1.5
Remote Operation

Total:  36  Total Score = 118,876

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I like this contest format, so I made sure to get on. Yes, I know there is
no QRP category, but that's how I like to operate. Low scores don't
embarrass me. My goal was to get on and make at least a dozen QSOs
in each session. I was also handicapped by not having a VFO knob, so
all tuning was by pushing up/down buttons to get as close as I could,
sorry if I was a bit off.

First session was just before sunset here, and nothing heard on 15m,
but a dozen weak RTTY signals on 20m, and a little CQing toward
Japan and I had made my dozen by 00:23Z. Time for dinner!

Second session was a couple hours after sunrise, lots of FT8 down
below, and LOTS of RTTY signals on the band. Unfortunately for me,
everyone pointed and working eastward. Can't blame them there was
plenty of Europeans on, but not who could hear me. I resorted to CQing
high in the band and waiting for people to stop by, then a pass to try
some loud East Coast stations. Finally, after 38 minutes! I had worked
my dozen. Time to walk the dog!

Third session I got up an hour before it ends, just about sunrise, so
pretty dark here. No RTTY heard on 80m, and none on 40m - but I
tried CQing - and still no luck.  OK, 20m before it wakes up. Should
be interesting! Lots of signals, even Europeans, but could only get a
response from the few oudest USA stations. Made my dozen QSOs in
15 minutes - not bad!

Thanks for the triple QRP-diddle.

NN7SS Burt WA (K6UFO op)

15m, 20m: GXP 3 element yagi at 72 feet