[3830] CaQP NW6P(W9KKN) SO(A)Fixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 13 15:08:55 EDT 2019

                    California QSO Party - 2019

Call: NW6P
Operator(s): W9KKN
Station: NW6P

Class: SO(A)Fixed HP
QTH: SCLA

  160:    0      0
   80:  149     25
   15:   60     17
   10:    1      1
    6:    0      0
    2:    0      0
--------------------

Club: Pizza Lovers 259

Comments:

As always, special thanks to Tom/NW6P for the use of his station, and KG6DQL for
a last minute repair of the 80m dipole!

So normally, I go out in the field for a county expedition with WVARA, but this
year, it didn't quite come together with our two ring leaders (K0XI and K6EI)
otherwise occupied this weekend. It also turned out that I had a busy work trip
to Europe and only got back late Wednesday night, horribly jet lagged, sick from
food poisoning after being there a week. There were a few offers to go along
with some other expeditions (thank you for thinking of me) or drive up to Radio
Oakley to hang out with the N6O crew, but frankly, I just didn't think I was in
any condition for a road trip. But -- I thought what if I rested up for a day or
two? I could probably get in some kind of shape to do this alone, and after all
-- I'd get to go home and sleep in my own bed; worth whatever it costs.

Frankly, I've put a lot of butt-in-chair time in during the past year, and I
thought would be interesting to see what I could do with CQP at a station I'm
familiar with as a single op.

So off to the races -- the activity was great, I managed to hit all 58 mults the
first day (according to N1MM, actually I hit 59, because it counted NB
separately from MR since that's what one of them sent me and I didn't convert it
myself -- and N1MM accepted it!) 15 meters looked pretty idle, but deceiving if
you ran there, the callers/activity were plentiful. The last multiplier was
Northern Territories, thanks again for getting on Gerry/W1VE! If you're familiar
with that situation, you'll know why I was worried that one would elude us
all...

Done again, I would have slightly altered my off times to stay up later, wake up
earlier, and chop of the final hour or two of the contest, but the plan I took
was fine too (large break between midnight and 6 am.) Overall, while I think I
can do better, I'm happy with the result.

The jet lag got me a few times, temporarily removing my ability to copy CW in
the face of a pileup, but it came back after a few minutes.

A lot of fun, but a lot of work. I can't decide if I want to go out into the
field again next year not.

73 es Thanks for the Q's everyone!

Bill/W9KKN