[3830] TBDC W7RH Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 21 08:49:35 EDT 2019

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Pre-Stew

Call: W7RH
Operator(s): W7RH
Station: W7RH

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: UT

Total:  QSOs = 40  Total Score = 889

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Greetings 160 Ops....

This weekend was part one of the EME contest and I travelled to Beryl, UT with
long time friend Al, K7CA. Al operated 2m EME with antenna we put up two years
ago and I dusted the cobwebs off on the 160m 8 circle array which somehow fixed
itself since last visit.

Needless to say we both had fun. For myself operating at this site is pure 160m
joy. I have a very good directional antenna which I built but the 8 circle array
of 10 70ft verticals at K7JA/N7JW is the 160m ultimate dream.  Some might ask
how an 8 circle array would have ten elements? The answer. The antenna has 4el
broadside end-fire elements in all directions with exception of JA which has six
elements. Performance of this well tuned and executed antenna is just short of
spectacular. Gain is 8.5 dBi and ~10dBi with 20 dB Front to back. Rejection off
the sides can make stations disappear!.

Physically I was not up to operating full blown contest mode and operated part
time S&P due to being in recovery mode of some recent medical stuff.
Conditions West of Rockies were not spectacular but low noise and big antenna
helped me snag some good DX. In the log are NP2J, LY7M, KV4FZ, F5IN, G3BJ, RT0F,
JL1MUT, JF3LOP, JH2FXP, JH1QDP, and VK6VZ. Not bad considering half my TX power
being consumed in coax  line loss in 20 plus year old 1500ft feedline. Antenna
power about 800W

Some funny comments and head turns. N6TR said I was 30-40 over in Oregon. Low
Power?  My response no, HP at K7CA! I've always only operated low power.

I gave Igor RT0F a big 599 plus report. He came back and said 599 plus-plus!

It was a fun weekend. this past week I eiked out a few new call signs on the
band  since last solar minimum.  I'll cross my fingers for some good conditions
during this solar minimum for the rest of the season!

I hope to see you all in December Stew! Back to reality.....:(

73, Bob, W7RH