[3830] CQWW SSB W7RM(K2PO) SO(A)AB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 27 22:18:49 EDT 2019

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: W7RM
Operator(s): K2PO
Station: K2PO

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 26:40

  160:   11     5        5
   80:   44    14       25
   40:   77    20       41
   20:  213    26       66
   15:   56    15       31
   10:    8     4        5

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

I had a painful dental procedure the week before the contest.  The first part of
the contest was not entirely dissimilar.  133 QSOs in first 6 hours.

The silver lining was I had no qualms about getting rest.  Once it became clear
that I wouldn't be able get a rate going with Asians the first night, I headed
to bed.

20m had a good opening to Europe on Saturday morning for 90 minutes, allowing me
to log 35 stations, searching and pouncing (and giving repeats, and giving
repeats, and giving up and moving on).  Then it was the usual search and pounce
drill for Caribbean and South American stations for the rest of the day.  (I
operated assisted, but the reported spots were generally inaudible in this
corner of the country.)

Another disappointing night for Asians followed, so I got some more sleep.

Sunday morning presented a 2 hour 20m opening to Europe.  But the band was
largely occupied by the same cast of superstations that monopolized the band on
Saturday morning, so I logged only 27 Europeans.

Sunday mid-day 15m opened better to the Caribbean and South America, with
spotlight propagation that kept changing, so there were several new stations to
work each hour.

Finally, towards the end of the contest, 20m opened to Asia, and I snagged a
spot at 14218 and managed to hold on in the bedlam for 40 minutes (no small feat
for a low power station).  That netted a first burst of adrenaline for the
weekend and 43 Asians for the log (together with a smattering of other callers),
bringing my QSO count across the 400 threshold.  That seemed like a good high
point at which to stop.

CU in SS!

Bill, K2PO
Portland, OR