[3830] CQWW SSB N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 28 18:16:15 EDT 2019

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: N4TZ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN

  160:   37     8       21
   80:   94    16       53
   40:  128    22       66
   20:  268    23       88
   15:  182    21       77
   10:   49    11       20
------------------------------
Total:  758   101      325  Total Score = 854,556

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points Countries     Zones
 160SSB        37           37       74        21         8
  80SSB        94           94      232        53        16
  40SSB       128          128      334        66        22
  20SSB       269          268      753        88        23
  15SSB       183          182      491        77        21
  10SSB        49           49      122        20        11

 Totals       760          758     2006       325       101

    Final Score = 854556 points.

                               2019 CQ-WW-SSB N4TZ
                                 Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
      USA calls =     2     2     2     1     3     5    15
   Canada calls =    13    23    18    10     1     0    65
       NA calls =    18    21    26    38    45    10   158
       SA calls =     2    11    15    33    52    33   146
     Euro calls =     0    29    49   169    65     0   312
  African calls =     2     4     7    10    13     0    36
    Asian calls =     0     0     2     3     1     0     6
    Japan calls =     0     0     0     3     0     0     3
    Ocean calls =     0     4     9     2     3     1    19

    Total calls =    37    94   128   269   183    49   760

An awfully lot of last-minute effort to achieve a score about
the same as last year!  The soybeans were harvested Saturday
before the contest, so I was out there Sunday after church
surveying for my 80 meter 4 square. Monday was a rainout,
but Tuesday and Wednesday from sunup to sundown were spent
installing my 80 meter 4 square and associated radials.
I had some excitement on raising the first element. I have
used the falling derrick method of erection for twenty years.
I leave the guy ropes with a little slack to prevent binding
as the guy points may vary in height by a foot or so. Then,
after the antenna is up, I adjust the tensions to make the
element vertical. This slack usually allows for the antenna
to move slightly past vertical on erection.  Thus, I was
not surprised as the element passed vertical. However, the
next few seconds saw it continue in the direction of the
fallen derrick where I was standing. Both ropes guying the
element on the other side broke about midway up the run.
Several hours were spent reworking the top hat and stinger,
as well as replacing all the guy ropes (8) on that element.
I inspect the ropes each year before I store the elements
for the summer, and again as I stage the elements in the
field. I saw no unusual fraying on the ropes, but the
breaks were frays, not relatively clean like from a nick.
I replaced about half of the remaining guys on the other
elements before raising them with no futher excitement.
I ordered more rope Friday to replenish my stockpile.

As the sun set Wednesday, I had a new run of coax installed
from the feed point of my 40 meter yagi to the ground.
(It had become seriously intermittant last year, and stopped
working each contest weekend.) Thursday I installed a 160
meter vertical and its radial system.  But, Friday, I did
get a real before-contest nap of 4 hours which I need as I
enter my eighth decade of life.

Unfortunately, the contest started out very slowly. I had
only 100 QSOs in the first six hours, and things were slowing
down from there, so I tried to get some sleep, even though
I was wide awake.  Saturday morning brought more of the same,
so far as I was concerned. The best hour of the contest was
a roaring 39 QSOs.

6 Band QSOs with 5K0K, 8P5A, HR9/N3AD, PJ2T, PJ4K, and TI7W.
No European QSOs on either 10 or 160. No JA stations even
heard on 80 or 15, and only heard one on 40. There was
world-wide activity, I am sure, but you couldn't prove it
from my log.

I can't wait for the next contest.