[3830] CQWW SSB OX7A M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 28 19:33:19 EDT 2019

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: OX7A
Operator(s): OZ1AA OZ1DJJ OZ5DM OZ7AKT OZ7AM
Station: OX7A

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: GP47TA

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    3     3        3
   40:  154    16       46
   20: 1370    21       79
   15:  292    16       49
   10:    0     0        0

Contesting in the Arctic is known to be challenging, but this time we got a real
taste of exactly how frustrating it can be.

CQ WW SSB 2018 was such a blast with huge pileups and more than 4000 Q's in the
log and we had great expectations for CQ WW SSB 2019!
This year we decided to go M/2, thinking it would be a walk in the park to beat
the standing zone 40 record as we did with M/S in 2018. However, the sun decided
to burp at the worst possible time -- with the nuclear bits and pieces hitting
us right in the face on Friday night.

For most of the contest period we had K-indicies above 3 -- even hitting 6 at
one point. On the first day it was as if someone had put a duvet over the
radio's speaker making all signals strangely faint and barely readable.
The low bands suffered from absorption -- the high ones never really opened.
Misery and sorrow all around.
Nature be a harsh mistress -- but on one account she did deliver; the most
wonderful auroral displays we could have asked for, with all the colours of the
rainbow dancing on the pitch black Arctic firmament -- so vivid that it looked
like one could reach out and touch it.

On the second day  the storm appeared to have lost its breath a bit, with both
20 and 15 coming to live for a few hours at least. Some nice runs into both NA
and EU, but nothing compared to last year's contest.

All things considered; Greenland is a wonderful place and we have no regrets.
Lot's of people got their double mult and we thoroughly enjoyed handing it out,
but next year we might find some place a little closer to the Equator where we
can yell "Five-Nine!" into a microphone.

73 de OZ7AM and the OX7A team