[3830] CQWW SSB YL4U(YL3JA) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 29 14:11:37 EDT 2019

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: YL4U
Operator(s): YL3JA
Station: YL2GD

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:

  160:  340    10       47
   80:  501    11       52
   40:  918    19       78
   20:  738    25       81
   15:  220    18       60
   10:  159     7       26

Club: Latvian Contest Club

Comments:

This one goes down to history!
Firstly HUGE thank you to Gunars YL2GD for letting me participate in this event
from his station, THAT WAS AMAZING! Very warm welcoming and nice hospitality
already from Wednesday. Gunars climbed up in the towers several times before and
during the contest, to do some little antenna works. Station worked flawlesy,
without any bugs, K3+IC775 and a lot of home made accesories! Almost everything
at Gunars station is made with his hands, he is a true amateur radio enthusiast
and great operator!
To see his station check this site: http://www.lral.lv/yl2gd.htm
Now lets begin with contest.
This was my first serious single operator entry in WW contest and it was
absolutely amazing! Stayed up all 48h except those minute or two naps on the
table between QSOs.
Very bad conditions with heavy aurora, as I see my friends from ES9C suffered a
lot from this thing. Nice to meet a lot of friends from all over the world on
the bands again. Congrats to D4C and EF8R for great scores again. Unfortunately
wasn't able to join you this year.
Very low percent of stations outside EU. EU - 87%!!!
Nice opening on 15m and 10m in the second. Had a great time on those two bands
doing dual CQing!
Tried to QSY all the mults around the bands in the second day, but it didnt
really worked for me this time.
Stayed up all 48h and realized that it is possible, but don't know if its
necessary to do that, or it is better to have at lest 2h nap at some moment.
Started to see and hear strange things on the bands and in the shack, felt like
I was on some kind of drugs.
I'm not sure how did Andy LY7Z got a score like that, but my congratulations to
you!
Congrats Kas LY4ZF with absolutely amazing score on 40m!
During second day I was all the time thinking why no one is working with second
radio, i guess the second operator was too tired... hahaha.
For sure this was my biggest experience in contesting and i truly would like to
do it again like this!
I know that the score should have been a bit better, but im happy about it
anyway, Im happy that i finally did some serious SO entry and maybe next I will
be more competitive. The goal was 3000 QSOs and 3 million points. Almost got
those 3000 QSOs, but i was very far from 3 million points.
Looking forward for CW part!
73! KRIS YL3JA ES7GR