[3830] WWDigi AE6JV SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 1 18:02:15 EDT 2019

                    World Wide Digi DX Contest - 2019

Call: AE6JV
Operator(s): AE6JV
Station: AE6JV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Los Gatos, CA

  160:   17     6
   80:   35     8
   15:    8     2
Total:  291    58  Total Score = 16,878

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

WARNING: This score is a wild guess. I have counted one point/QSO and the number
of mults was compiled by counting grids in a spread sheet. I'm sure the VK QSOs
are more than one point, but there may be dups that haven't been eliminated
etc.

I used wsjtx with no logging program support, so I ended up no running-score
support or time on. My time on is a guess from looking at the log. If you just
try to contact everyone you can copy, the lack of support can be endured.

I noticed that the Cabrillo file produced by wsjtx didn't include the contacts
where I switched to normal mode to sent a signal report. They were in the ADIF
file I used with the website ADIF converter. I tried to clean duplicates from
the file before making the Cabrillo -- wsjtx doesn't always know when a QSO is
just a continuation of one that has already been logged and offers to log it
again. I usually accept since double logging is better than missed logging.

I operated in a mix of S&P and run. I'd call CQ, but frequently see a
station calling CQ and double click to work him and then go back to calling CQ.

15M was very weak, and I got no response from calling CQ for 5 minutes or so on
10M. I spent most of the daylight hours on 20M, switching between FT4 and FT8. I
continued in that operating style on 40M and on 80M. 160M was mostly FT8
operating in the 1840 band recommended for FT4.

I often found strong stations transmitting in the same slot and on the same
frequency as the one I had been using. The clue was that the rate dried up.
Changing frequency usually brought the rate back up. While wsjtx can pull a
station out from under a stronger station, it much better to have a clear
frequency.

I did manage some DX including 8P, CE, CO, CX, HK, JA, KH6, KL7, LU, VE, VK, XE,
YC, YV, YW, and py. Ending operation with K1SFA on 160, and VK3TNL, KH6TU, and
JM1NKT as the last 3 contacts let me go to bed on a high note.