[3830] TnQP W4AN(@K4BAI/M) Multi-Op MobileCW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 2 18:59:42 EDT 2019

                    Tennessee QSO Party - 2019

Call: W4AN
Operator(s): KU8E K4BAI
Station: K4BAI/M

Class: Multi-Op MobileCW LP
QTH: 16 TN co's

  160:
   80:  190     0       0      38
   40:  358     0       0      41
   20:   37     0       0      18
-----------------------------------
Total:  585     0       0      97  Total Score = 178,235

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Jeff, KU8E, did a fantastic job of setting up the mobile station in my car and
getting the antennas tuned and the computer set up with little or no RFI.  Used
Jeff's TS590SG with Hustler mobile whips for 20, 40, and 80.  We had two mag
mounts on the trunk lid of my 2017 Toyota Avalon. We could go instantly from 40
to 20 during the day and 40 to 80 during the night time hours.  We had
previously a problem getting a good dip with low SWR on 80M, but this time were
able to get the SWR down to 1.5 to one with a lot of trial and error and the use
of the internal tuner in the TS590SG.  Thanks for all QSOs and thanks to the TQP
sponsors.  We had dinner Saturday with N4ZZ and AD4EB near Nashville and had
planned for breakfast Sunday with W4NZ in Chattanooga, but we only got to
Knoxville by the end of the contest on Saturday night, so we had to cancel
that.

Our route was planned to cover a lot of counties that the other mobiles and
fixed stations didn't seem to cover.  Unfortunately, a lot of these were in the
mountains and we didn't get to all the counties we had expected.  However, those
we missed were on I75, so hopefully everyone was able to get the ones we didn't
get to from others.  One highlight was to give our old buddy W6OAT one new AL
county and seven new TN counties during the TQP.  We got hopelessly lost on
small mountain roads in the darkness Sunday night in UNION county.  Lost a lot
of time and, in retrospect, should have skipped UNION, or just deadended across
the line. Congrats to all the mobiles.  20M seemed very long and only a few
areas such as TX, NM, W6-7, and northern WI and New England, and isolated QSOs
with NY, QC, and WO4O in FL were made.  40M seemed pretty good.  Skip was long
during the day and we worked few TN stations there.  Later skip went very long
and then everyone stopped working 40 and we made our last 40M QSO at 0124Z in
spite of calling CQ there in every county.  Toward the end, it seemed that
everyone almost had quit or gone to bed and the rate fell way off.  We did work
K7IA in NM on 80 for our most distant QSO on that band.  Only one DX station
worked and that was EA2VE on 40M.  No DX on 20 at all.  We missed UT, WY, OR,
AK, HI, SD, ND.  We were QRV from 16 counties and made well over 10 QSOs in
each, so the score includes 8000 bonus points for mobiles.  We called K4TCG
several times, but the ops there never heard us, so no bonus points from them.

Congrats to all the other ops, especially the mobiles.  Hope there will be a
"next time" for us.  73, John, K4BAI.