[3830] NA Sprint CW N6ZFO HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 8 01:21:39 EDT 2019

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: N6ZFO
Operator(s): N6ZFO
Station: N6ZFO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4:00

---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: Northern California Contest Club #2

Comments:

There was an unintended consquence of major tree work at N6ZFO on Thurday; I had
taken the 40/80 M Zepp line out of the tree to be felled and drooped the line in
a manzanita tree across the road. One of the large trucks brushed against the
tree, snagged the line, and when it pulled tight it broke the center support of
the antenna that is anchored on a balcony of the house.

Started on Saturday morning to rebuild, finshing the project 15 mins before the
beginning of the Sprint.  Also had to reconnect the Beverage, which I had
fogotten to remove where it crosses the road.  That was the easy part.

The tree that was removed was a dead 77-year old Grey Pine 120 feet tall
(formerly called by a name we are not allowed to use anymore)  It had supported
both one end of the 40/80 Zepp and the 160m Inv L.   It was between  the beam
tower and Eu. . so may have some signal gain in that direction now on 20-10m.
There was some chance it might fall on the tower.  Its two companion trees
(80-90 ft) both fell on their own during the winter, but in harmless directions.
 The major work, hoever,  went to removing a similar tree that was almost
certain to fall on our two 2500 gal water storage tanks.

In the middle of all this, a wildland fire broke out across the valley, further
diverting me from the antenna project.  Our 6th fire in four days. One huge air
tanker flew very low over our house (one we hadn't seen before, a large 727).

I updated W6RGG our Sprint team organizer, through the day as the project
progressed, looking bad 2 hours before Sprint, but suddenly good, so was put on
Team #2.  Twenty died quickly, no doubt costing us a few mults.  Where were the
VE's?  Worked exactly one Canadian, VE5MX.

73 Bill n6zfo