[3830] NA Sprint CW W4EF HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 8 12:20:46 EDT 2019

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: W4EF
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W4EF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 00:46

---------------------
Total:  49     Mults = 27  Total Score = 1,323

Club:

Team:

Comments:

I thought I had my Alpha 87A fixed. It had acted up badly during the WPX CW, but
played fine in the IARU contest. Not so. It started randomly re-tuning from
almost the get go. At first the output power was up and down a few hundred watts
which seemed tolerable. I wasn't getting asked for repeats, so I figured my
signal must have sounded okay (I apologize if my signal was dropping out on
you).

At first the retuning was distracting and I had to ask for a number of repeats.
Then I decided I was just going to go with it and focus on the contest. At that
point I started to get some momentum. Then about 45 minutes in, it the problem
got really bad. The Alpha started jumping bands and faulting (this is what
happened in the WPX CW). At that point I just pulled the plug and went to Best
Buy to get a KVM switch I needed.

It was fun while it lasted.

73, Mike W4EF..............