[3830] NA Sprint CW K2ZWI(NW2K) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 8 13:10:26 EDT 2019

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: K2ZWI
Operator(s): NW2K
Station: NW2K

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Springwater, NY
Operating Time (hrs):

---------------------
Total:   1     Mults = 1  Total Score = 1

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Regarding the CW Open and participation in the SEP Sprint....

I used to help manage the CWO.  The CWO is on the first Saturday of SEP.  What
happened last night relative to the Sprint happens every five years.  The last
time it happened was 2014, I believe.

I wonder if the CWO siphoned participation off the SEP Sprint in 2014 and 2019.
I just looked at the data for the SEP Sprint at the NCJ website.

>From 2000-2019, aside from 2001 and 2003, the mults averaged 47.7 +/-1; a tight
range.  Last night, we have a 3830 report of 48 mults and some ops have not yet
reported their scores.  That's right at the long term average.  (48 seems high
to me for what I heard here.)

Top number of QSOs in the SEP Sprint has been falling in the last decade.  For
the past ten years, not counting last night, we've seen an average of 350 QSOs
at the top.  For example, 2014=344, 2015=312, 2016=355, 2017=315, 2018=356,
2019=312* (not all scores reported yet).

On only these two metrics, it would be difficult to make the case that the CWO
impacted the Sprint in 2014 (QSOs=344, Mults=48, both right at the long term
average).

If we look at the last five years (2014-2018), top num QSO average was 336, with
2015, 2017, 2019 lagging (so far) the average.  Participation in this contest is
decreasing relative to the longer term averages and this metric.  I think it's
safe to say that the CWO is not causing this decrease.

If the CWO is impacting the Sprint, it does so only every five years.  It does
not look like it had an impact on two metrics in 2014. In any case, activity in
this contest does not appear to be increasing.

One other thing...A=8, K=2 last night.  73 Dean NW2K