[3830] NA Sprint RTTY NN7SS(K6UFO) QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 15 00:16:25 EDT 2019

                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest - September

Call: NN7SS
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: NN7SS

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Remote Operation

---------------------
Total:  50     Mults = 19  Total Score = 950

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I missed getting this contest on my calendar, and missed any announcements.
At the last minute I realized it would be TONIGHT. I was away from the
station and my usual computer, but I could get remote access going. And
luckily, the radio DATA mode was in AFSK-A, so I got RTTY going, but
I wouldn't have any big tuning knob, and no knobs for filters, etc. Well,
I'll just jump around and CQ and CQ. and hope that works :)

As usual from West Coast, a good start on 20m was important. First ten
minutes were great! Then it got harder and harder to find new stations.
Many stations refused to use RIT or tune to me, even though I was
clearly a LID and off frequency. I had no way to fine tune, just typing in
even kHz frequencies!  I tried using AFC and NET, but that seemed even
more confusing.

Everyone gone on 20m, so I went to 40m with still 90 minutes before
sunset! Tough going... I had time to read the mail, time to read a joke
book, time to write this report... I had time to learn to program some
rig commands into shortcut keys, which finally gave me some large and
small RIT steps to tune with.

With nothing left on 40m, I finally went to 80m and tried and tried ...
only California could hear me. The rest just called CQ in my face.
I combed the band every few minutes looking for new signals, and
found a few more Californians. Thanks!

I once thought making only 100 QSOs was terrible in this contest,
now I can only make 50! Oh well.

NN7SS Burt WA (K6UFO op)

20m: GXP 3 element yagi at 72 feet
40m: GXP 2 element yagi at 72 feet