[3830] ARRL Sep VHF WZ1V Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 16 13:30:41 EDT 2019

                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2019

Call: WZ1V
Operator(s): WZ1V
Station: WZ1V

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN31RH

  1.2:   26    13
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  412   132  Total Score = 75,240

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

Had some nice contacts on all the bands really.
Worked WS3C FM19 and W1GHZ FN34 for new ones on 1296.
No 6M Es observed here, but there was a narrow
tropo duct to the SW all Sunday morning. Both
W4IY and AA4ZZ were 59 up through 432.
Unfortunately the digital modes taking hold has
reduced the fun factor in VHF contesting for me.
Yes I do use it and it does make contacts that
might be difficult if not impossible without it.
But it has drastically reduced the potential for
finding contacts on the bands above 2M.
Too many people with good equipment on higher
bands are getting stuck on 50.313 and 144.174
for too long making themselves unavailable to
anyone wishing to work them up through the bands.
I'm guilty of falling into this trap myself,
it's addictive, and hard to yank yourself out.
Some say use the Chat Page more, but that has created
another problem with so much greater use it scrolls
by far too fast to be useful, at least for me.
It's becoming a contest of who can type and click
on their computers the fastest, thereby taking away
from the original intent of being a proving ground
to improve our actual operating skills and ability
to discern the weakest signals ourselves without
depending on a computer to do it for us.
Sadly we're allowing ourselves to be replaced.
-73 Ron WZ1V