[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K9FA/P Single Op Port QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 16 21:55:34 EDT 2019

                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2019

Call: K9FA/P
Operator(s): K9FA
Station: K9FA

Class: Single Op Port QRP
QTH: dn43no
Operating Time (hrs): 10.5
Remote Operation

    6:   5     5
    2:   3     1
  222:
  432:   1     1
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:   9     7  Total Score = 70

So this time around I've gone portable and ended up on the Rendezvous Peak
(10,932ft) in the Teton Range and on the ridge above the Teton Village, WY.
Very modest station included an HT, KX3 @ 3W, PAR moxon and a laptop running
FT8.  This operation also counted toward SOTA W7Y/TT-035 and I've operated 4.5
and 6 hours on Saturday and Sunday respectively.

Saturday was exciting with some interesting QSOs with N5WS(EL09-1167 miles),
W5TRL(EM10-1163 miles), N5DD(EM11-1102 miles), K5QE(EM31-1256 miles) and
W5PR(EL29-1294 miles longest QSO) (all distances are approximate) and I've also
worked a few local QSOs on FM.  The above QSOs were conducted using 2 or 3
Watts.  Sunday's propagation was much worse and while there were a few short
openings on 6m I've only managed once 2m FM QSO.

I've decoded the following stations on 6m FT8:
Locally: NA6L(DM12), N6QQ(DM03), W7QQ(DM75), and K7ULS(DN41)
Eastward: W0JMP(EN34), W0ZF/R EN15, KE8KMX, W3IQ & KB3ZVW(EN90),
W4MLZ(EM89), K9OM(EN65)
Westward: W7TZ(CN82), W3XS(CN74), KW6S(CM96), K6EU(CM97)
Souteast: W5WQQ(EM64) & many station in the central and coastal Texas

Results:
Band   Mode  QSOs     Pts  Grd
    50  FT8      5       5    5
   144  FM       3       3    1
   460  FM       1       2    1
 Total  Both     9      10    7
Score: 70

Adjusting from a VHF contest operation at K5NA(EM10) to a 3W outdoor setup took
some getting used to: altitude and sun at 10,000 ft, little shelter, and a very
limited setup took a toll.  Unsurprisingly, the frustration level was high when
calling a station with a strong signal decode without answer and, in this
contest, I had a 1.5 hours/QSO average rather then a QSO/hour ratio.  Overall, I
reached my goal of activating a summit for SOTA and a ~1300 mile QSO with 3W did
validate the station design, setup and operation.  Many lessons were learned and
will be applied during the next outing, hopefully with a better score.

Many thanks to Liz and Tytus for helping me out and making this activation
possible.  I'd also would like to thank all the hams who listined for and called
me - I'm much obliged.

Till the next contest - 73,
Jarek, K9FA