[3830] ARRL Sep VHF KR1ST Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Sep 17 22:18:58 EDT 2019

                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2019

Call: KR1ST
Operator(s): KR1ST
Station: KR1ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN21
Operating Time (hrs):

  222:   22     9
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  234    72  Total Score = 20,160

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

I'm very happy that I about doubled last year's score. I added a tri-band FM rig
and vertical antenna, and that netted me one whole QSO! :)  I've won in a CQ WW
contest once by one QSO, so I'm not going to discount that effort!

The conditions were mostly flat. I did see some micro openings on 6m to EL86 and
some further away EM grids on Sunday, but that was about it. I was pleasantly
surprised to find folks CQing on 70cm FT8.

The 6m FT8 frequency is becoming quite interesting. A nearby station was sitting
on their mic for quite some time, not realizing that their views on Kavanaugh
and the New York Times were being broadcast on 50.313. Another station could be
heard explaining FT8 while they were apparently looking at the waterfall on 2m.

I’m contemplating giving up on any assistance during a contest and solely rely
on RF to make contacts. It’s too bad that there is no unassisted category
anymore, but so be it. I find the allowed methods of assistance more of a source
of frustration rather than a contributing factor to the fun I’m having. I
realize one could never win a contest that way, but I can live with that. :)

If you happened to work rovers on FT8, check your log to make sure that the
correct gridsquare was logged. I found that the WSJT-X software would sometimes
log the gridsquare of a previously worked station instead that of the rover.  I
need to send the screenshot of this occurring to the development team.

Thanks for all the Q’s and see you in the Sprints I hope!

73,
--Alex KR1ST (FN21fk)

Band   Mode  QSOs     Pts  Grd  Pt/Q
    50  FT8     70      70   16   1.0