[3830] TxQP N8II SO Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 23 16:38:18 EDT 2019

                    Texas QSO Party - 2019

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: WV

  160:
   80:    9      0
   40:   49     10
   20:  117    106
   15:    6      3
   10:    4      2
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  165    121      0  Mults = 127  Total Score = 109,219

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Score includes 8000 bonus mobile points: KS5A = 500, KO5G = 500, W3DYA = 500,
N4CD = 1000, WB0TEV = 1500, N5NA = 2000, AD4EB = 2000.

Well, I was not that far behind the top mixed score and have myself to blame
more than the somewhat poor conditions. Late afternoon Saturday was just plain
weird; 20M signals from TX were fading as was SSB activity at the same time the
number of EU stations off the back corner of my 5 el yagi working the WAE SSB
test was far exceeding the number of TX stations! So, I joined in the WAE fun
and ran about 100 EU stations in the next hour starting 2024Z including some
semi rare countries; then, there was dinner. There was still some prop to TX on
20 until 0015Z, but activity was quite poor compared to past years.

The change of weekends has definitely not helped TXQP in my opinion. The RTTY
QRM on 40 CW has been replaced by the EU SSB QRM on 20 which was loud enough to
drive away a lot of ops.

Both days, working TX mobiles on 40 for most of the daylight hours was a real
challenge from here. From 16-19Z Sunday 40 was nearly dead to TX and 20 went
weaker as well.

Look at my QSO's on 10 and 15. While most everyone had their heads buried in the
40 and 20M sand, there was a good widespread sporadic E opening to TX Sunday
morning which lasted over 90 minutes! Both W5CT and K5OT were found on 15 CW,
then moved to 15 SSB, 10 CW, and SSB. They were many db over S9 CW on 15 for
quite a while!

Hopefully next year will see improved conditions. From here 20 gets somewhat
marginal quite often in the middle of the day.

I have to give high praise to the N5NA and AD4EB mobiles who were QSO machines
never missing a beat! Both were amazingly flawless efforts, and I worked both
almost the same number of times. Thanks also to the other mobiles Victor, WB0TEV
(tough sledding on SSB), Bob, N4CD, Guff, KS5A, Norm, W3DYA, KO5G, and K5DX.

Thanks for the QSO's and hope next year shows a tick up on the SFI. Don't forget
to check 15 and 10, far from dead this time.

73, Jeff N8II