[3830] CQ WW RTTY ON3DI SOSB40 QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 30 09:16:57 EDT 2019

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY - 2019

Call: ON3DI
Operator(s): ON3DI
Station: ON3DI

Class: SOSB40 QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:
   40:  265      10      46    10
-----------------------------------
Total:  265      10      46    10  Total Score = 35,970

Hi all!

What was this!!!

After years SO 80m QRP with some wins but lately also some big defeats, I wanted
to try 40m qrp^. The week before the contest wasn't ideal, had some major
stomachissues and also a computer problem. I spilled some water on my keyboard,
my keyboard wasn't working properly anymore, thank god it worked with an
external keyboard.

A few days before the contest a friend asked me if there would be a solarstorm,
it was almost a prediction and indeed they expected a major solarstorm, why
again during a contestweekend!

It hitted hard, the first hour I had only 8 qso's, normally you can follow
qso's, but not this time, often I couldn't decode signals of other guys who
where normally easy ones. Highlights in the first shift were cr3w, cr3dx and
ea8ded, after the first shift I had only 44qso's. Then I slept until 10utc and
was active again, it was better but not spectaculair. The same for the evening
session, around midnight I decided to go to bed, I knew it would been impossible
to work DX and thought sleep would been better. Around 3utc I went up again and
worked to stations; my friend OQ5M (no wonder there was a solarstorm, he
RTTY...) and P49X, the rest had no sence. Was qrv for an hour and went to bed
for 2 hours. After that I worked an incredible K3LR, so strong and finally USA!
I stayed qrv untill 12utc worked Europe and watched the world championship on my
smartphone.
Sundaynight was going quit, think a lot of guys called it a day but then around
22utc I heard some USA stations, band was coming alive and indeed worked 12 USA,
2 VE and JT5DX, thank lord my score was rising! Those last two hours saved my
contest.

Compared to last year my score is down to the winner, but this wasn't a normal
year right? Hope my efforts will be enough to win this one. First time I didn't
quit during a solarstorm, hope it was the right decision!

Next contest will be CQ WW SSB, normally 80m qrp (yeah oh boy will be someting
;-))

Thanks for all the qso's, tnx for the patience!

Dxlab, 5w, vertical

Pieter ON3DI