[3830] WPX SSB KK9A SOSB20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Apr 3 19:01:40 EDT 2020

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: KK9A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: KK9A

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH: North Carolina

   20: 2700

Operating this contest was a last moment decision. With spring here and so much
to do both outside and inside along with working every day for an essential
manufacturer,  finding spare time to contest  is a challenge. My station was
still apart from a trip to Aruba earlier in the month so I left work a little
early to get things set up. I operated 20m single band which is basically a
daytime band and with the contest starting just after sunset here in North
Carolina, I expected a slow couple of hours before going to bed. Instead what
occurred at 0000Z was amazing, I had an instant pileup and after 10 minutes I
already made 33 contacts. I felt like I was operating from the Caribbean!  When
it slowed down  I took a nap. I woke up early on Saturday morning hoping for a
great run of 3 point European contacts  however the band was slow to open and
the QRM level from it being overcrowded was very intense.  It had been four
years since I operated WPX from the U.S. so I was also out of practice.
Thankfully there were many patient operators who repeated their information
until it was copied. The band was a little quieter in the evening and signals
from Japan were pretty strong but there seemed to be little Asia activity. Only
3% of my contacts were in Asia, 40% were in Europe and 53% were in North
America. I wish that I had set up my second radio as there were many active
stations with rare prefixes that I never worked. I made many more QSOs than I
expected, WPX is an awesome contest!  Thanks for the QSOs! Please QSL via Tim,
WD9DZV. He uploaded my logs onto LoTW, Clublog and EQSL shortly after the
contest. This was a fun contest and a great way to mentally escape from the
COVID-19 pandemic. Unfortunately due to this virus, we had to cancel plans to
visit Chicago on Easter and have lunch with my longtime friend and manager
WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A
http://www.kk9a.com