[3830] GaQP K4HQK Single OpMixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Apr 12 11:53:17 EDT 2020

                    Georgia QSO Party - 2020

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single OpMixed HP
QTH: Alexandria, VA

  160:
   80:   20      5
   40:   35     40
--------------------
Total:   55     45  CW Mults = 21  Ph Mults = 31  Total Score = 8,060

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A big thank-you to Georgia's amateurs for providing those of us outside the
Peach State with plenty of enjoyable activity even without mobiles crisscrossing
the state's 159 counties. I also appreciate a one-day QSO party; it seems to fit
the level of in-state activity well and minimally preempts other weekend
activities and chores.

Working the heavily-populated counties (Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb, etc.) was a
breeze, of course, but a few sparsely-populated ones made it into the log to
make things interesting (#118 Heard, #119 Towns, and whoa, #130 Wilkinson). I
had hoped to work my county of birth (Richland county, city of Augusta) and did
so after a few hours thanks to AA5JF (coincidentally, my initials).

Band conditions were as expected, if a bit long favoring the Midwest on 40m from
the start, and even when 80m opened late afternoon. East coast stations were
generally not strong here. I operated "mixed," giving a good balance
of activity between CW and SSB. I was disappointed, though, in the lack of 75m
SSB activity, at least when I gave it a try.

With only about 6 hours to spend with the contest, I ended with 100 QSOs, by
chance. I had planned to watch the 10pm Saturday Night Live on NBC, and as it
approached, I had 97 QSOs in the log. So, I kept going until I'd worked the big
round number (with one eye on SNL's opener).

This was only my second time in Georgia's QSO Party. I'll be back next year, and
maybe those mobiles will be, too. Hope you had fun with it. I certainly did.

73,

John K4HQK
Alexandria, Virginia