[3830] GaQP AA4LR Single OpMixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Apr 12 14:13:33 EDT 2020

                    Georgia QSO Party - 2020

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single OpMixed LP
QTH: Georgia

  160:    0      0
   80:   51      2
   40:  188     33
   20:   76      5
   15:    1      0
   10:    0      0
    6:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  316     40  CW Mults = 46  Ph Mults = 21  Total Score = 45,024

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
- 40/80/160m trap inverted-J with two elevated radials

Equipment:
- K2/100 w/ KAT100 running 100 watts
- WKSerial
- Gearmo two-port serial adapter
- Yamaha CM500 heatset

Comments:

Just handing out a few Qs from Fulton county QTH in Bolton. Conditions weren't
really that great, and my antenna is that great either. But this contest was
basically 100% running, and went very well. Some periods of modestly high rates,
others were kind of slow.

Now a whole lotta luck on phone. I could hear some other Georgia stations wrack
them up, but they just didn't respond to my 100 watts and crummy antenna.

Nevertheless, my showing on CW wasn't bad. If I had gone CW-only this would have
topped my personal best just on the CW Qs and mults.

Had an odd moment around 2230z on 40m. W8WVU called me. I sent him the exchange
and he responded with slightly long "dah". Then nothing. Honestly, his
transmitter sounded funny -- slight chirp and a bit of drift. Happened again
five minutes later. I never got his exchange, so he didn't make it into the log.
I tried to send him an email, but I can't find his address.

All in all, lots of activity. The NM and ND QSO parties were going on at the
same time. I managed to eek out one Q on 15m, and 20m was OK in the afternoon.
40m was the money band all around. 80m did well briefly.

The Gearmo two-port serial adapter does a good job with the K2 - one port for
the radio, one for the WinKeyer.

This was my first contest using the Yamaha CM500 headset. Very comfortable. Wore
it for hours and didn't feel an soreness.

The audio response of the headset is almost too broad. It really has a lot of
bass. I never knew that the sidetone of the K2 had so much bass response, but
after a couple of hours, I could feel my eardrums thumping along with the CW.
This was even with the sidetone at the lowest level (ST L 001). Later, as it got
cold in the basement, I put a

The microphone on this headset is an electret and it has a hellacious amount of
output. I had to modify the K2 KSB2 back to stock to get it to work (I had
modified it to be more sensitive for a headset with the Heil HC4 cartridge). I'm
not sure it was enough.