[3830] Gagarin DX N4QX SO Satellite LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Apr 12 15:14:08 EDT 2020

                    Yuri Gagarin International DX Contest - 2020

Call: N4QX
Operator(s): N4QX
Station: N4QX

Class: SO Satellite LP
QTH: VA

  Sat:   3     2
-------------------
Total:   3     2  Total Score = 150

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The Gagarin Cup is one of the rare radiosport events that gives credit (25
points each) for satellite QSOs. Making a satellite QSO in the Gagarin Cup has
been a goal of mine ever since I started seriously operating through satellites
two years ago, but I only got around to making the time to operate this year.

I chose not to operate through AO-7, the space station in the amateur NGSO fleet
with the largest footprint, because CW tends more than phone to trigger a S/N
overage on the uplink and cause the satellite to shift modes from U/v to V/a.
The newer linear satellites are somewhat more robust, and I attempted QSOs on
XW-2A, XW-2B, XW-2F, CAS-4A, CAS-4B, and EO-88.

That I only netted three QSOs while working through six different satellites (I
was working full duplex and know I was closing the link) is a testament to the
rarity and difficulty of CW satellite operation. I give up my keyer on
satellites in order to use a straight key--it's easier to send with my pinky and
correct for Doppler with my thumb. Computer controlled tuning is actually a bit
tricky on Morse--the one-step-per-second action of SatPC32 leads to a signal
jumping around in quantum leaps rather than drifting. The difficulty makes
completing a QSO satisfying.

Gagarin Cup activity on satellites (presuming stations using reasonable, low
uplink power) would have to increase by a significant factor in order to
approach annoying to other users. I will plan to operate again next April, and
will be happy to provide some extra points and an extra mult to HF-focused ops.

Hopefully for next year's event, FO-99, CAS-6, HuskySat-1, and Fox-1E will be
QRV. The last of these is an AMSAT satellite, and HuskySat-1 carries an AMSAT
payload. The NGSO fleet is distinct from QO-100, but is nevertheless providing
the healthiest amateur-satellite service that has been seen in years. I invite
you to check out the educational materials AMSAT provides to satellite operators
and, if you're persuaded (and you should be), join us.

73 de Brennan N4QX
Secretary, AMSAT