[3830] OnQP VA3DF Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Apr 19 14:59:15 EDT 2020

                    Ontario QSO Party - 2020

Call: VA3DF
Operator(s): VA3DF
Station: VA3DF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ONS
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   31      1     24
   80:  107     85     67
   40:  145     69     60
   20:  125      2     52
   15:    4      1      4
   10:    2      1      2
---------------------------
Total:  414    159    209  Total Score = 244,948

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

OK - where do I get me one of them T-shirts that say (Life's too short for QRP)?
The more astute among you may have noticed a new wrinkle in the above score
summary - I got me an amp!

Took the new Elecraft KPA500 out for a test spin in the OQP and was very
impressed. Didn't really got at it that hard - cause everybody knows you don't
have to work hard when you run HP! Going to HP from the home qth was not an easy
decision, especially when your job is selling pencils on a street corner, so I
gave the decision considerable thought and weighed all the pros and cons.

On the one hand, there was no doubt that I liked the amp's color and it would
fit in well with my other Elecraft stuff. Also, there was space on an empty
corner of the operating desk. Elecraft was going to increase the price and
buying at a lower cost was important (see above re pencils).

After a lifetime of riding in the back of the bus, maybe it was time to move up
a few seats - so to speak. But what really put things over the top was the
thought that, if, in my lifetime, anyone ever operates from Bouvet, I don't want
to be on the outside looking in. Makes sense - right? I lost the list of cons
but that doesn't matter cause I wanted the amp anyway.

Oh, I'll probably still do the occasional contest as LP but even if I never use
the amp again - it will still look real good sitting on that corner of the
desk!

As usual, it's a jungle out there. Surprisingly, even when you run HP.

73,

Doug
VA3DF