[3830] NAQP CW WD8DSB Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 2 06:20:05 EDT 2020

                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: WD8DSB
Operator(s): WD8DSB
Station: WD8DSB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 9:00

Total:  306    71  Total Score = 21,726

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team:

Comments:

Ran modest output power of 12 watts on 20 meters and 15 watts on 40 meters using
my MFJ Cub 20 and 40 meter transceivers along with a small Mosfet Amp in an
attempt to get back to basics.  Also ran mostly in search and pounce mode but
had a few good runs on 40 meters.

Operated all battery power including my laptop that was running N1MM+.  Was
going to operate outdoors but due to the rain decided to run a portable setup on
my kitchen table so I could operate in the presence of my XYL and dog instead of
being locked up in my shack as it was my dogs 8th Birthday :)

Used temporary dipole antennas on both bands with the 20 meter dipole up 25 feet
and the 40 meter dipole up 30 feet, both suspended in trees.

Have found the key to making the MFJ Cub a contest capable radio is to use a
very narrow active audio filter that allows me to be very close to "zero
beat" when I tune a station in, and to also improve on their not so tight
IF filter.  I use the Hi-Per Mite active audio filter for that purpose and it
does a wonderful job (really amazing).

Thanks to everyone that worked my "All MFJ Cub" station event, and
73.
Don (wd8dsb)