[3830] NAQP CW K3AU(K2YWE) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 2 10:10:55 EDT 2020

                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: K3AU
Operator(s): K2YWE
Station: K2YWE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD

   15:    7     5
   10:    4     2
-------------------
Total:  802   153  Total Score = 122,706

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

I started the contest with a few locals on 10m and several scattered 15m QSO's
before settling in on 20m. I periodically checked 10/15, making only a few Q’s
on 15m.
I had expected my transition from 20-40m to happen earlier, but 20m was so
productive that I stayed there until the 2100 hour when I finally began
alternating 40m and 20m periods depending on rate. I knew that QRN was going to
build as the day wore on and I worked down the bands, so I decided on an 0500Z
(1:00 am local) cutoff and took a one hour break at about 2200Z when my rate had
dropped a little and my dog told me it was past dinner time.
It was 40m after the break. I started checking 80m in the 2300 hour but didn’t
commit to it until the 0000 hour. My jury-rigged vertical with single elevated
radial counterpoise exceeded my low expectations and I was able to make a good
number of Q’s with it. I used my 40m inv delta as a higher SNR receive antenna
to help with the strong and never-ending QRN. The rest my the time was spent in
rotating 80, 160, and 40m periods until I stopped at 0500Z. The last 15 minutes
were a race to get to 800 Q’s with my diminished rate running neck-and-neck
with the time remaining.  Fun, but exhausting. Many thanks to those who called
me and some that pulled me through the mud on 160 and 80.