[3830] NAQP CW K4HQK Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 2 12:09:51 EDT 2020

                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Alexandria, VA

   15:   11     9
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  307   102  Total Score = 31,314

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC Over the hill/Downtown DC

Comments:

After one QSO on 10m and eleven on 15m, I settled in on 20m, where activity was
robust, as usual. Propagation was confined to the eastern U.S., so having worked
plenty of those by 1600 EDT I switched to 40m and found a high level of activity
from the South as well as the East. Then I returned to 20m to nab some western
states. Never heard KH or KL, but did work fellow PVRC member, KP4/K3WA. Broke
for dinner at 1900 EDT.

Returned at 2030 EDT to 40m, which had not gone long but instead was favoring
north and south, including plenty of VE3s, a few VE2s, and one lone VE1. Heard
one VE4 in S&P mode during the contest but he never ran. Did not even hear
the western provinces. At 2130 EDT switched to 80m and was pleasantly surprised
by the high volume of activity, QRN notwithstanding, and worked one-third of all
my QSOs there.

Ontario and Tennessee were my most-worked entities (6.5% each), followed by
Illinois (5.5%), Florida and Massachusetts (4.6% each), and New York and Ohio
(3.9% each).

Once again, the NAQP-CW proved great fun. The high level of activity (perhaps
the coronavirus kept more home than usual) put many fellow PVRCers in my log,
band conditions were not bad, and thunderstorms stayed away from my QTH. What's
not to like!

Station: IC-7410, Cushcraft R6000 vertical, and dipoles.

John K4HQK
Alexandria, Virginia