[3830] MDC QP AA4TI Amplified HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 9 08:18:25 EDT 2020

                    Maryland/DC QSO Party - 2020

Call: AA4TI
Operator(s): AA4TI
Station: AA4TI

Class: Amplified HP
QTH: Florida

  160:
   80:   2      2
   40:   1      1
   20:   2      3
----------------------------
Total:   5      6       0  Mults = 9  Total Score = 189

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Yesterday was a true test of resolve.  Last week my remote tuner failed and I
ordered another one.  It was scheduled to arrive yesterday by 9 pm.  At 10AM I
managed to chase down the UPS truck and get my tuner.  I zoomed home and
installed the tuner only to find out that it did not work.  After a couple hours
I finally figured out that an internal switch had been set incorrectly at the
factory during assembly - MFJ rides again.  Once I got the tuner working, I
could not run more than a couple hundred watts without it giving me a high SWR
spike periodically when keying which caused the amp to fault repeatedly.  I
entered the QSO Party as an AMP station but only had a couple contacts over 100
watts.  To compound matters I heard very little on the bands... practically no
MD stations to  be harvested.  I never heard the bonus station which appeared to
be a part time effort.  The bottom line was that I spent the whole day either
working the contest or working on the station.  4 hours BIC and 10 hours CAT -
Cussing at Tuner.  Not a productive day at all.  Not much fun either since the
tuner issue is still not resolved.