[3830] WAE CW 9A/KO7SS Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 9 17:25:40 EDT 2020

                    WAE DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: 9A/KO7SS
Operator(s): KO7SS
Station: 9A/KO7SS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CROATIA
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Remote Operation

   80:   80    84   128
   40:  265   483   195
   20:  431   995   158
   15:  133   174    96
   10:   20    40    30
-------------------------
Total:  929  1776   607  Total Score = 1,641,935

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

This has always been a favorite contest, the QTC format is great. Someday
the sunspots will come back and it will be fun again from W7 :)

I was going to use one of the three RHR Maine stations like I have done the
last few years but at the starting gate none was ready for a big contest
effort. It is summer rebuilding time up there.

Thanks to Ray W2RE and Lee WW2DX for the 3 DX stations available via RHR.
HH2AA, homecall/KP4, and the new 9A/homecall.

I don't know much about the 9A station, it is a single 100' rotating tower
with monobanders on 10-40. A 4-square on 80. A Flex radio and ACOM amp in
a small shed at the base of the tower.

When I signed into the RHR website just before the contest I was only planning
on running for a few hours on whatever other stations weren't
taken, I assumed the 9A setup was reserved for the contest.

There it was available 30 minutes before the test (when reserved a station
is locked out on the website control panel an hour before the start)

I quickly grabbed it and started looking through the N1MM docs for how to
work WAE from EU. Set the bandmap skimmers to EU and try to figure out a
strategy :)

I know nothing about contesting from EU, but any idea of a plan fell apart
after a glance at the starting 80M band map. Packed with CQing stations
from zones 17/18/19/20/21/22/24. I chased DX for the first 18 hours, then
spent the next 18 hours begging for QTC's :)

9A/KO7SS is not a good call to chase Asian DX in pile ups.

Thanks everyone for all the QTC's!

73, Bill KO7SS in Arizona