[3830] WAE CW N9NB Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 9 21:51:06 EDT 2020

                    WAE DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: N9NB
Operator(s): N9NB
Station: N9NB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA

   80:   77    42    28
   40:  345   314    38
   20:  497   588    45
   15:   99    75    33
   10:    1     0     1
-------------------------
Total: 2038  2038   384  Total Score = 782,592

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Came home the day before the contest to find that lightning storms had caused
some major damage to the M2 rotors and the SAL-30 down the hill.  The rotors
wouldn't turn, and I will now try and see if the problem is in the reed switches
in the 2 rotors on the 2 different towers, or (hopefully) something was zapped
in the shack within the 2 control boxes that sit side by side - I usually
disconnect everything, but I may have left the rotor control wires plugged in to
the patch panel socket - cant recall now, but I know it is never a good practice
to leave the rotor wires connected when I'm gone. Everything is unplugged,
generally, when I am QRT, but the patch panel will carry high currents in a
strike, and that is where the SAL 30 and all rotors and coaxes connect in to
from the outside - lots of troubleshooting awaits me.

Bouncing the rotor switch allowed the rotors to turn to EU but with no
indication of movement on the controllers, and both controllers performed
identically on both rotors. Hoping the good people at M2 have an idea of what
might have happened.  I doubt lightning would hit both towers and take out both
reed switches. I used the troubleshooting efforts as an excuse to change the MOV
boxes on the rotor control cables just outside the shack by the patch panel.

I was fortunate to find a Verizon technician who came out to troubleshoot the
lack of internet, and after confirming it was good up to my house, they found
that a jack must have been fried from the lightning - Fortunately some other
jacks in the house worked fine - more to inspect.

The contest was fun and the bands seemed very good. I was surpised how well 20
was open to europe before sunrise on Saturday, and  was pleased that 80 was
quiet enough to hear some stations with the phased verticals. About half way in
to the contest, I decided to post my score on the on line scoreboard, and
enjoyed watching the battle for top US low power spot in W1/W2 land in the low
power category. There were some amazing lead changes and strategy choices, and
it was fun to see the FB ops competing to the end of the contest. I marvel at
the good code copying skills of the European operators who grab the QTCs.

WAE is a great contest - the last day is a tough slog but forces a level of
intensity and patience that keeps things interesting, even when the bands have
slim yield.  Thanks to all the sponsors and the participants for a great time.
Hope to see you in the next one!

73 ted n9nb