[3830] 50FallSprnt N4SVC(N2CEI) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 23 16:54:15 EDT 2020

                    50 MHz Fall Sprint - 2020

Call: N4SVC
Operator(s): N2CEI
Station: N4SVC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EM80mi

Did not work nor hear a single SSB or CW signal.  FT-8 was good for locals but
only 6 QSO's, The rest of my QSO's was DX via Meteor Scatter . SO-- spent most
of the evening Attempting to figure out why the stations on the band have not
selected a "universal contest mode" to operate on. I had  8-10 busted
 QSO's  of stations replying to my CQ but were stuck  in the "MSK-144 Loop
of Death" because of the difference in set-up modes. A protocol needs to be
established.

I understand  that I am a newbie to the the digital MS operation and that many
on the air have countless years of experience over me. And possibly if I had the
experience I think I would be able to detect what "Mode" people were
in  and switch to it to make the QSO after being stuck  hearing my call ,their
call and grid 10-12 times before they quit and call some one else. But why when
we should all be in the same Mode?

The other cause of frustration was  the CF on 50.260. Watching the same stations
repeatedly calling each other with out their MSK-144 programs moving to the next
step. Wow! What a night!
The Meteor Scatter was fantastic last night. I completed QSO's  in 60-90 seconds
 with station in the Short Contest Mode. So why don't we all do that in a sprint
and/or VHF contest! Its just exchange Call and Grid and 73! This is just
baffling me. I understand that some do not know there is a contest or sprint in
Process and are running the standard mode where a RST is exchanged. BUT-- If you
are sending "CQ TEST", we need to be in the correct mode to get the
QSO done the quickest way possible and give space for other to do the same.
So-- If anyone has the answers, this newbie is listening.
See you all in the Sept VHF contest!
Steve