[3830] CWopsT KE5C(@K5TR) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Aug 27 13:18:19 EDT 2020

                    CWops Mini-CWT Test - 0300Z Aug 27

Call: KE5C
Operator(s): KE5C
Station: K5TR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 1
Remote Operation

Total:  63  Mults = 63  Total Score = 3,969

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to K5TR, N1MM, remotehams, and WinKeyerUSB! Remote CW contesting presents
some unique challenges. The first is to get copyable CW out of the radio which
is why we changed to N1MM KY messaging even though given the choice, that is not
preferable but the CW coming out is a lot better. You can't use keyboard CW
(ctrl-K) with that, but we prefer paddle fills anyway, so the paddles are
transported using WinkeyerUSB's and the K1EL WKRemote software. The second
challenge is the delay between end of transmit and when we start to hear
especially in run mode. Often I would get the tail end of the call only and
needed to ask a repeat. Run mode is a bit of a challenge. The third is the lack
of perfect audio. Names with missed letters can often be guessed, but not serial
numbers, so more repeats. The fourth is really off frequency responses: we don't
have RIT so we operate split, and tuning the receive vfo takes more time with
the internet latency than in person. After a while, rather than trying, I just
called cq again. All in all, still a lot of fun compared to reading a book or
watching TV.