[3830] KsQP K4VBM Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 30 17:03:54 EDT 2020

                    Kansas QSO Party - 2020

Call: K4VBM
Operator(s): K4VBM
Station: K4VBM

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:    5
   40:   33     17     15
   20:   34     25
----------------------------
Total:   72     42     15  Mults = 51  Total Score = 15,595

Club: Georgia Contest Group

Comments:

I did not play in  this contest last year, and in 2018 I did not spell any of
the words completely.
This year was very different.  The bands were somewhat noisy and at sometimes
the QSB was brutal,
but signals could be heard and QSOs were made!  CW was by far the money mode for
this contest.
Lots of mobile stations to chase including W0B/M operated by the contest chair,
Bob Harder, who
is also a fantasic operator (he operates mobile in many other state QSO parties)
and fun to contact.
I contacted a number of mobile stations on county lines this year, really adding
to my score.  Always
fun to break thru the pile-ups and gaining that experience on where to transmit
for CW to be heard,
or when to say your call to be heard even if it's just the last letter as you
analyze how the operator
is working the pack.  I think this really helps when chasing DX.

So my counts this year were 72 CW QSOs, 42 Phone QSOs, 14 FT8 QSOs (N1MM+ has
integrated with WSJT-X),
and a lone PSK31 QSO.  WHEW!  You have to score the FT8 QSOs in a separate log
to be turned in, but nice not
to have to count separately for totals.  Learned that JTAlert interferes with
the N1MM+ / WSJT-X interface,
so don't have it running as QSO logging from WSJT-X to N1MM+ breaks.
Also made contacts with bonus stations - love those bonus points.

For me, this was the best score ever for this contest by far.  I even managed to
spell:
KANSAS, QSOPARTY, SUNFLOWER, and YELLOWBRICKROAD using 1x1 calls without the
need for the wildcard!

Hope you had a chance to participate.  Great fun!