[3830] KsQP N8II Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 31 20:19:13 EDT 2020

                    Kansas QSO Party - 2020

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~16

   80:   13      7
   40:  131     90
----------------------------
Total:  286    249      0  Mults = 98  Total Score = 135,792

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I put more effort and time this year than last and somehow came up way short on
the sweep. Looking back, I chased maybe a few too many spots Saturday and missed
some rare counties covered by mobiles that were not spotted. I did a lot of
S&P even on Saturday. My mults at the end of Saturday were 2-3 better than
last year at 95, but I only found 3 Sunday missing PHI which was active. The
pandemic had its effects with fewer mobiles active especially on Sunday, and
bigger pile ups calling them. By 2130Z eastern KS was gone on 20 and by 23Z
almost all of KS was in the noise. There must have been a solar flare around 23Z
as conditions on 40 that hour were terrible; at 2330Z the mobiles were nearly
impossible to copy. I also missed 4 possible 1x1 calls some of which might not
have been active or active for long. 20M signals during the day both days were
excellent by and large with a little drop Sunday afternoon.
I had significant line noise on 40 Saturday which made the weak mobiles even
harder to copy. Adjusting for the fact that Bob, W0B was not offering 2 or 3
calls per QSO, I worked more Q's with the rest of KS than last year.

Thanks do much to all of the mobiles. Butch, K0O (WY0A) put in another stellar
performance from his SSB mobile. I worked him 100% of the the times I saw his
spot except for once on 75M (did get 2 county lines on 75!). He can hear a pin
drop and sorted out the pile ups very efficiently and ran 40 KS counties! Many
thanks to Bob, W0BH for organizing the troops and operating mobile both days.
Con, K0A did his usual bang up job from county lines, but was pretty silent in
between. Thanks to the other mobiles and portables: N4CD, K0T, N0W, N0Q (a lot
of rare ones), K0I, N0K, N0E, and others. I ran a few on 20 phone, but other
short stabs at CQ's were basically worthless. 18 hours is a long time to
S&P!
I would have enjoyed it more if the QP was only Saturday; Sunday was pretty slow
especially around 15-17Z.

I am waiting for the K5KG and K1RO shoes to drop, will see how it goes. K7SV
beat me consistently in 40M pile ups with 3db less power, a head scratcher with
very similar dipoles in use. All in all, it was fun.

73, Jeff