[3830] ARRL 160 WD8DSB Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 6 09:52:56 EST 2020

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: WD8DSB
Operator(s): WD8DSB
Station: WD8DSB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 26:58

Total:  QSOs = 992  Sections = 77  Countries = 6  Total Score = 166,415

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Beat my previous best score by a long shot even though I thought conditions were
not that great and a little on the noisy side.

Noticed the band never "went long" in my opinion as stations in nearby
states of Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan were reasonably strong all night long
(both nights) whereas previous years they were typically weak during the middle
of the night, only to become strong as we approached sunrise.  Was able to work
a few European stations the first night, and worked numerous stations on the
West Coast of North America but signals from the West Coast were typically not
that strong.

Band was the most crowded I have ever experienced.  I operated the entire 1st
night and took a 3 hour nap the second night during the wee hours of the
morning.

992 QSOs, 83 multiplies which consisted of 77 ARRL/RAC sections and 6 DXCC
countries, Claimed Score = 166,415 (single op, low power, not assisted
category), 26.97 hours operating time.

Transceiver: Kenwood TS-180s (100 watts) with 500 Hz IF filter

TX Antenna: 68 foot base loaded vertical wire hanging straight down from a very
tall Sycamore tree with 55 short buried radials (2500 feet of radials)

RX Antennas: 3 small point fed pennants (pointing 40, 160, and 300 degrees).

Audio Filter: Hi-Per-Mite active audio filter (200 Hz bandwidth).

73, Don (wd8dsb)