[3830] ARRL 160 NN4RB Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 6 17:59:52 EST 2020

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: NN4RB
Operator(s): NN4RB
Station: NN4RB

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:

Total:  QSOs = 202  Sections = 55  Countries = 4  Total Score = 22,880

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

New IC-7610 and this is the first contest with it.  Started late on Friday
night, because I spent the day putting out a hastily build BOG and getting the
radio setup.  Started at midnight and got my required 50 plus 1 before going to
bed at 1:40.  I got the 50 in 2 hours.  The next night my goal was to beat last
year's score of 115 QSOs.  I got that, then keep going for a while.  Stopped at
175 QSOs for a break.  Told my wife how many I had and she told me to go back
and make 200.  So, 202 was my stopping point.  Operated mostly 100 watts until I
heard an AZ station and could not get him.  Fired up the Alpha 374A and got him.
 We was the only station in the 7 call area that I worked.  Did hear Utah, but
couldn't get him.  Heard two in 6 land, but only worked one SV.  The Rocky's was
a major stopper for me.  Got four counties, but they were all closer than some
states.  The BOG was quiet, but without a preamp at its location, it provided no
advantage.  My transmit antenna for 160 is a 80 meter dipole at 50 feet with the
coax shorted at the base and fed as a vertical.  I need to get a better ground
for it other than a single 8 foot rod.

Rick
NN4RB

ICOM IC-7610
Alpha 374A
Elecraft KAT 500 at the base of the antenna