[3830] ARRL 10 KE2D SO Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 13 19:28:03 EST 2020

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: KE2D
Operator(s): KE2D
Station: KE2D

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: New Jersey

   CW:  462    59
  SSB:   55    26
-------------------
Total:  517    85  Total Score = 166,430

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Wow!  That was fun!

Best score I ever made in this contest. In 2014 I did 118,910 with low power and
less than 300 QSOs.  I only worked two stations in Europe this time.  In 2014 I
had many more.  Perhaps 2021 will be even better and the band will open to
Europe for a solid stretch for those of us with modest stations.

The main event of the weekend was Friday night.  If you missed that, you missed
some solid action and a lot of fun.  I made a tactical error at the start.  I
had worked into the evening and then took a break but fell asleep briefly while
watching the news.  I woke up rested but it was 5 minutes before the start.  I
fired up the amp and got on just a couple minutes after the opening bell.  My
mistake was not eating dinner before the start and two hours in I was famished.
I grabbed a quick bite and got back in the chair as fast as I could.  With the
obligatory bio break, it cost me about 20 minutes total. Before the break, I had
a run of 186 QSOs in 1:38.  Not as intense as CQWW but I don't remember ever
running on 10m like that before.

Saturday and Sunday were never as good as Friday night but enough to chase down
and some nice openings to SA on Saturday for a while.  Saturday night the game
changed and it became a challenge to eek out a few more Qs with meteor scatter
and what was possibly some E skip thrown in. The MS is a crazy thing and really
challenging to work via CW (none of the digital modes here).

73,
Bob - KE2D