[3830] ARRL 10 NN7CW SO CW Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 13 21:40:15 EST 2020

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2020

Call: NN7CW
Operator(s): NN7CW
Station: NN7CW

Class: SO CW Unlimited HP
QTH: NFL
Operating Time (hrs): 32:01

   CW:
  SSB:
-------------------
Total: 1568    80  Total Score = 501,760

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Interesting how the perception of this contest can change within a couple of
hours. Friday was hot, with a best 60 minute rate of 165/h and the best 10
minute rate of 222/h. Saturday continued being good until things fell apart
around 3 o'clock local in the afternoon and rates were around 30 Qs/h until the
end. Until the breakdown I thought this contest was the best thing since sliced
bread, but then it became just some sort of side hustle again, similar to last
year. Unlike last year I was prepared by bringing a book I've been reading on
and off for quite a while: World History of the 20th century, 1391 pages long. I
didn't manage to finish it (just arrived in 1919 at the end of WW1) but I had
plenty of time to make very good progress on that endeavor.

I chose SO CW Unlimited because I wanted to maximize the chance to work at least
one SD, which was the last contact missing to complete my 6-band-WAS.
Ironically, I was called by three different SDs (thanks guys!) while running, so
there was no need for using the band map for anything. This time I didn't manage
to work any AK or ND, but all other US states I worked at least twice, CA being
No.1 (108 Qs), followed by FL (99 Qs) and TX (83 Qs).

Apart from learning more about world history and the fate of stressed political
systems (obviously a very current subject where many analogies can be found), I
also discovered that the more you are busy with something (like cleaning spilled
food off your keyboard), the more likely it is that, in that very moment, you
get to work a dupe (HI!).

Oddity of the day: that guy who had his exchange set to "5nn in nv" -
threw me off three times until I got that he (hopefully!?) is _in_ NV, HI.

73 and Merry Christmas!
Wolf, NN7CW