[3830] RAC Winter WD6T(@N6RO) SOSB/20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Dec 19 19:43:36 EST 2020

                    RAC Winter Contest - 2020

Call: WD6T
Operator(s): WD6T
Station: N6RO

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 9:45
Radios: SO2R
Remote Operation

   20:  225    472      10        13
Total:  225    472      10        13  Total Score = 89,838

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I love this contest.  First time doing a SB, and first time doing mixed mode.

Right before the contest, the station computer rebooted itself for some reason
and I had to re-set-up everything. But the amp wouldn't come on line. Called Ken
N6RO, who had to reboot it  Then all was fine by starting time.

20m died very early the first night.  Nice to work YT in the first 6 minutes,
but then even VE7 became ESP, so I swung beam to JA and worked a number of loud
stations, until they too faded. Last Q was at 1:06z, still before sunset.

Plan was to be QRV by 1445z, but my son needed to use the shack, which doubles
as a recording studio, for an all-night project. When I woke up at 1400z, he was
still not done, so I wasn't able to make the first Q until 1524z.

Started on CW, and was called by a number of Europeans, which was nice, even if
they're only 2 points.

Phone was, in general, more productive, and there were many "Sunday
drivers" giving out 1's and other single digit numbers. I managed to keep
the rate up by "begging and pleading," and I very much appreciate all
the non-contesters who stopped by. The N6RO 20m stack is a formidable megaphone
on SSB.

SO2V mixed mode was a lot of fun.  But I had one Flex crash, which cost me about
1/2 hour, suspected to be a result of my switching too rapidly between CW and
phone.  Ken N6RO had done a 160m SB all-nighter and was still asleep.  Chris
N6WM, who lives nearby, saved the day by driving over to reboot the Flex, for
which I can't thank him enough.

All in all, an exhilarating contest, from a friendly country.