[3830] RAC Winter VE4VT M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 20 09:39:06 EST 2020

                    RAC Winter Contest - 2020

Call: VE4VT
Operator(s): VE4VT
Station: VE4VT

Class: M/S HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 16:36

  160:   42      15      6         4
   80:   73      41      9         8
   40:   65     479     10        10
   20:   25     477     11        13
   15:   37      51     10         9
   10:    0       1      0         1
    6:    0       0      0         0
    2:    0       3      0         1
Total:  242    1067     46        46  Total Score = 702,328

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

Well Friday nights conditions were pretty poor. At the start of the contest, 40m
was already very long and essentiall not in play. That meant I was relegated to
80 and 160 and from this suburban lot with S9+ noise, it was not going to be
fun.

Thankfully, despite the noise level, conditions were not too bad on 80 and 160.
Even managed to work a couple European stations on 80 with my 150 watts and 1/4
wave sloper.

My original plan was to challenge VE4EA and his gang of top ops in the MOST LP
category. However on Saturday morning I realized I had made a rookie mistake.
While referring to the RAC rules to refresh my memory on the 10 minute band
change rule, I discovered that LP meant less than 100 Watts.  I had set the rig
to 150 watts like low power in so many of the ARRL contests.  So all my Friday
night and part of Saturday morning were done with 150W so that put me in the HP
category.  So on went the amp and I spent the last 8 hours with 400W or an
additional 4.8 dB of gain.

Conditions on 20 were pretty decent.  Plenty of DX calls from our European,
South African, and Central and South American friends.

15m had very strong conditions to the east coast and QC areas, ON signals were
not as strong. To the west, it was a struggle to work the VE5/6/7 stations.  One
pleasant surprise was having a very strong VE8GEZ from NT call in and he
generously moved to CW for the mults.

10m was not in play.

As always the RAC contests are a lot of fun and an opportunity to wish everyone
season's greetings.  So if I missed you in the pileups, please have yourself a
safe, and healthy Holiday season.

Ed VE4VT