[3830] TBDC N1LN Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 27 15:52:06 EST 2020

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 26

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC

Total:  QSOs = 675  Total Score = 2,683

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Took advantage of the warmer weather today so just got off one of my towers
after getting some antenna work done. Now it is time to submit the scores and
3830.

What strange conditions across my on-the-air time. Signals were up and down for
both NA and EU. QSB was very fast with a caller often dropping completely out
before I copied the entire call. That made slow speed CW stations more of a
challenge, but everyone was very patient.  THANKS!  My first EU in the log was
at 2313. More than 1 hour later than with ARRL 160 CW.

I stayed up through the EU sunrise and expected some good results.  According to
RBN my signal strength went up at the EU sites as expected, but very few EU
stations calling in. Then off for a nap. As I was tired, I slept through the NA
sunrise, so my STU ended at 0800 UTC.  My only Qs west of California were with 2
Hawaii stations.  Thanks for the points!!

Participation was up which was a good thing. Rates peaked above 200 several
times.  However, I must once again complain about the ever decreasing signal
quality. The quantity of stations with KEY CLICKS just keeps going up. I would
think operators would be embarrassed to have clicks. I know I certainly would
and would want to fix them quickly.

I think every club should take on a project to identify members with signal
issues and help get the causes addressed. Increased participation and decreased
signal quality do not play well together. One positive comment, most stations
called QRL before starting their CQ.

Thanks for the fun and the Qs.  See you in the upcoming CQWW160CW.

73,
Bruce N1LN