[3830] RTTY WPX AK6A(@K2PO) M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 9 23:27:20 EST 2020

                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest - 2020

Call: AK6A
Operator(s): AK6A K2PO
Station: K2PO

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 46:35

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Big thanks to Bill, AK6A, who drove up from Eugene at dawn on Saturday to split
the operator duties (and lend his slick call to the effort).  Among other
duties, he single-handedly slogged through the final nine hours of the contest,
after all the usual stations were already logged and things get tedious.

Our tally of 1945 QSOs beat the station's prior best in this contest by nearly
200 contacts

The 80m antenna, a rotatable Optibeam dipole, died in a January windstorm, and
its JK replacement hasn't yet arrived.  This left us to use a sloper at 30 feet,
fed with RG58 (causing us to limit power to 600-800w), so we were relatively
handicapped on that band.  Consequently, our 80m tally was down 100+ QSOs from
our previous best - costing us lots of 2 (or 4 or 6) point QSOs.

In a hindsight bad judgment by K2PO, we didn't work any 15m on Saturday.  A
consolation was that AK6A was 15m fresh meat on Sunday, leading to more than an
hour of 70+ QSO/hour rates.  But, again, we probably left QSOs on the table.

We had six hours where rates were in the teens (or below).

Overall, 82% of our QSOs were by CQing.

We worked 110 Europeans on 20m and 12 on 40m.  None on 15m or 80m

Interestingly, after JA (288) and VE (71), our next-most frequently-worked
country was not Germany, nor Italy, nor Spain, but Indonesia (30 QSOs).  They
seem to have grown their ham contester population significantly in recent
years.

Most of our contacts gave serial numbers below 95.  We should give thanks to the
casual contesters who make this event the big event it is.

73,

Bill, K2PO