[3830] ARRLDX CW KU8E SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 16 21:17:13 EST 2020

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: KU8E
Operator(s): KU8E
Station: KU8E

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 32:52

Total: 1289   332  Total Score = 1,284,840

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

K3/100, KPA500 ~ 600 watts and various dipoles and wires

My plan was to do a 40 meter single band but the rate was so bad (and it was
boring) early Saturday evening I decided to switch and do an all band effort. I
had no QSO's on the others bands until I did this.

The low bands (160-80-40) were fabulous! I had many good runs to EU despite
using simple antennas. I had the most unbelievable experience on 160 meters on
Saturday night. I went to 160 meters around 0430z and it was unbelievably good
to EU. Stations were coming back to me just about every time I called them which
is unusual for me. After I worked everything I heard I thought I would find a
clear frequency and try a CQ. What happened was magical. I had tons of EU
stations call me. Many of them were 100 watts and a couple were QRP. All with
good signals. The statistics on N1MM Logger said I made 79 QSOs during that run.
Almost all EU stations. I have been contesting for a very long time and operated
at some big stations with very good 160 meter antennas and that has never
happened before. This might not be a big deal if you live on the east coast but
it was for me. It's pretty cool that I experienced this from home.

Jeff  KU8E