[3830] ARRLDX CW 4U1WB(AJ3M) SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 16 23:20:24 EST 2020

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: 4U1WB
Operator(s): AJ3M
Station: 4U1WB

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Washington, DC
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  181   101  Total Score = 54,843

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Part-time effort from the World Bank Group Staff Amateur Radio Club’s station
in Washington, DC, which is a multiplier, to make my small contribution to the
overall PVRC score and, more importantly, have some fun. Thank you for the QSOs.

It seemed that some DX guys were annoyed when I kept calling them as I wanted to
give out the DC multiplier. Some ignored my calls. They thought that I was new
to contesting and that I did not know the rules. Some were kind enough to
explain to me that as they were to work American and Canadian stations only,
they would not work 4U1WB. I thought that they needed the DC multiplier more
than I needed them.

This happened every year during the ARRL CW/Phone Contests. Even some US
operators (I could tell from their accent during the Phone Contests that they
are from the US) at well-known DX contest stations ignored my calls or told me
that they would not work 4U1WB because they were looking for US/VE stations.

The 4U1WB call sign was issued by the United Nations in August 1989 as I
explained in detail on this reflector in October 2017 when I found out that the
CQ WPX Contest Committee had disqualified 4U1WB in the 2017 CQ World-Wide WPX
SSB Contest (and later found out that 4U1WB had been disqualified in the 2017
WPX CW Contest as well and the Contest Director subsequently reversed the
disqualifications). While the callsign was not issued by the FCC, it is for our
club’s station in DC. It would be possibly illegal to append /W3 to the 4U1WB
callsign.

See you in the ARRL Phone Contest.

73,

Masa, AJ3M