[3830] ARRLDX CW WC1M SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 17 13:52:01 EST 2020

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: WC1M
Operator(s): WC1M
Station: WC1M

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NH

  160:    0     0
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  559   118  Total Score = 196,824

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Couldn't do a big effort this year but managed a few points for the club.

Conditions were excellent the few times I got on. The 10-minute timer got to a
steady 210/hr on 40 during EU sunrise Saturday, which is pretty darned good for
that time of day. Running EU on 80 was a breeze, though I did use the Beverage
to reduce some mild static. 20 was quite good as well, but shutdown to EU pretty
early on Sunday. Never tried 15 or 10.

Had a few antenna problems. Unfortunately, I knew going in that my 160 antenna
is out of commission so I wasn't able to assess that band. It's likely a bad
connection at the 90-foot level on the tower that will have to wait for better
weather. It was quite cold here Friday and part of Saturday, and that initially
made some relays and TIC rings stick, but repeated exercising worked those
problems out. Initially had slightly high SWR on the big 2-el Cal-Av 2D-040A
full-size 40m beam, which was a first for that antenna, but eventually it
returned to normal. Maybe some ice on a connection? SWR on the 80 Delta Loop was
a tad higher that it should be, but no problem for the 2000A. The SWR on that
antenna tends to change with snow on the ground and the exact position of the
wires, which can change a little after high winds. Sometimes repositioning it
with the ropes helps, but not this time. Might needs to free a wire trapped by a
branch or replace the balun or feedline connector.

Station worked well, especially the relatively new 2-keyboard feature in
Writelog. Much more intuitive and no need to use special keys to switch radios.
Can't imagine going back to one keyboard. Also had some time to try out the new
SO2R Mini box I got as a backup for my YCCC SO2R Box. Worked as expected. Didn't
do a lot of SO2R, but tried to get some practice in. If I'd had more time I
would have finally tried to learn/practice 2BSIQ, but that will have to wait for
another day.