[3830] ARRLDX CW WO1N SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 17 21:38:39 EST 2020

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Massachusetts

   10:    4    12
-------------------
Total:  993   297  Total Score = 882,981

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station : FTdx5000, C3-SS at 38', 40M Phased Delta Loops,
80M Vert. Dipole "C", DX-LB "L", N1MM Logger+

Soapbox :

 This winter I spent a bunch of time working on various station aspects.
For example, I finally finished switching control for a set of 40M Delta
Loops the weekend before the contest.

 The loops exhibit good directivity  and were at least on par with a 50'
40M dipole usually in the air but with the added benefit of directivity
(NE/SW). I also have a Cushcraft R7 and additionally the DX-LB "L"
loads up on 40.

 All of these wires are contained within about 10,000 SqFt, as such,
my back yard is an area of significant OSHA concern. Wires are
everywhere! All lower legs of the Loops, "L" and "C" are
about 6' above
the terrain. Traverse at your own peril ;-)

 However, I did not spend enough time dealing with the local noise
environment. It just gets worse as time goes on. Significant powerline and
street light noise destroyed 80M and significantly impacted 15M. Switchers
(51 KHz spacing and 18 KHz spacing) significantly impacted 160, 80 and 40.

 All 80M Q's were done with 18 dB of front end attenuation, IPO2 and either
DNR at setting 11 or Contour at 300 Hz. If your signal made it past that, I
worked you. Managed a few small 80M runs the first night and a 12Q run the
second night.

 Significant thanks go out to W1UE for solving the AR Cluster filters
greatest mysteries and I was able to run skimmer all weekend using WC2L's
AR Cluster node without blowing up the bandmap!

 Otherwise, I started on-time and plugged away for about 30 hours.
I had one of the highest rate runs ever from the home station on 20M
Sunday morning. A max 60 minute rate of 165 and 219Qs at an overall
rate of 153/hr. That one run suddenly made a 1000Q's look possible
and was good motivation for the rest of the test. Ran out of
workable stations at the close and missed the goal by a few...

73,
Ken - WO1N